Susana Almanza and Hon. Gonzalo Barrientos – Interview with PEOPLE UNITED
March 22, 2013 § 1 Comment
People United produced/hosted by Allen Campbell spoke with PODER Director Susana Almanza and former Texas State Sen. Gonzalo Barrientos about politics and social movements in Austin with reference to the legacy of the late civil-rights and labor leader Cesar Chavez, who is being honored with a march SaturdayMarch 23 that begins at 10 am at Terrazas Library in East Austin and culminates in an 11 am rally at Austin City Hall Plaza, all on the street that bears his name.
Here is the entire interview which originally aired on Friday, 3/22, 1-2 pm. on PEOPLE UNITED KOOP 91.7fm (produced/hosted Allen Campbell)
Some topics discussed include:
- histories of activism in East Austin during 60’s and 70’s
- Economy Furniture Workers strike
- legacy of Cesar Chavez and impact in Austin
- Worker organizing and worker protection to unionize
- ‘Gentleman’s Agreement’ vs. new 10-One geographic single member district system in Austin, Texas
- need & power of community organizing, voter participation and leadership
About PEOPLE UNITED:
People United: The Show in Solidarity with the People of the World addresses the concerns of a diverse, interdependent people opposed to oppression in all its various forms and committed to the struggle for social justice. It features news, analysis, interviews, lectures, forums, and performances. To comment on the show, or to suggest a guest, one may write peopleunited @ koop dot org
Many thanks to Allen Campbell’s years of service for producing community radio in Austin, Texas!